Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Inspiration to keep on track

Since I have decided to concentrate more on relief printmaking, the ideas have been churning and gestating in my soul. I have been doing a little bit of sketching. Not every day, but when inspiration hits I have been able to formulate and sketch a few good ideas to keep for when I have time to carve and print.

The ideas have continued to flow, and I have been inspired lately to try doing some block prints on fabric related items. I had considered doing screen printing, but didn't want to stray from my promise to stick to one medium for awhile and see where it takes me. I had done some reading of other artist blogs and websites and there are many artist who have had great success block printing right onto fabric! I have many ideas for some new children's wares, tea towels etc. I had a gift certificate from my father burning a hole in my pocket and I was waiting until just the right idea came along in order to use it. The other day I ordered some fabric inks from DickBlick and am waiting for them to get shipped. I can't wait to give them a try and see how my experiment turns out.

Oh, and on the smudge ink problems I was having with Akua intaglio inks that I used for relief, I emailed Susan Rostow, the owner of the business. She got back to me super quick with some ideas to try for my current prints and a few hints to use for future prints. I can't wait to give them a try. Thanks Susan!

1 comment:

Amy Stoner said...

you have to let me know how your fabric inks from dick blick work out! I tried printing on fabric with my regular daniel smith relief inks but they aren't waterproof for laundry. I tried jaquard fabric paint but its really runny. I tried speedball fabric screenprint ink on a brayer and that worked well but I still haven't washed them to see how that works. So, I'm always open to see what others do. Have fun!