Tuesday, August 23, 2011

compassion

Parenting has been my biggest lesson in compassion. I have been stretched in beautiful and uncomfortable ways, particularly in parenting a now spirited three year old. I love that she has spirit, is creative, and knows what she wants. I want her to listen to herself and not be afraid to ask for what she needs.

I try every day to help her listen to her body and emotions, speak her mind, and negotiate through her little world. It can also be exhausting with a a capital E. I work with many parents who are struggling with keeping up with it all. Giving all they can. Doing all they can. I find myself giving words of advice that I most need to hear for myself.

Compassion. Remember they are growing and growing is hard and messy. Compassion learning about yourself is the most challenging journey of all. Compassion. You are human as well as a parent and you will make mistakes. Compassion. For them when they are struggling and for you when you are at your breaking point. Compassion. We are all in this together. No one is perfect and everybody struggles. Compassion. You are doing your best.




M fancy dress



Sometimes I feel so exhausted to do it all. To be the kind of parent I want to be. The kind of wife I want to be. The kind of therapist I want to be. The kind of artist I want to be. And then I remember compassion. Take one step at a time. It is worth it to stretch myself into learning and growing because I want her to know and feel in her heart that she is just as beautiful, amazing, as talented as I think she is. That if mommy can continue to live out her dreams, that she can truly do the same.


Here's sending you a little compassion for your day.


Namaste.


No comments: